Thursday, August 22, 2013

'Twas the Night Before School

And all through the house
ALL the creatures were stirring, including the mouse.

Wait, did you think I actually wrote a poem about the night before school?

Pshhhh

Uh, have we met?

I wish I had that kind of time on my hands, except I wouldn't be writing poetry. I'd be reading People magazine or watching E! No, no... I'd be elbows deep in a craft project. ooooohhhh, yeeaaahhh

My back to school eve wasn't so chipper. In fact, it was a bit of a disaster. Dramatically speaking, of course.

Let's start at the beginning.

I was riding the high from the night before when we pummeled the boys with water balloons. You can read about my sneak attack here. It was awesome, kids loved it. Memories made. Boom. I started the day with yet another awesome mom move & took the boys to get hotdogs for lunch. We spent the afternoon at the pool where I successfully defended them from the pool bullies & got their basketball back. I was on fi-yre.

Daddy came home early so I didn't have to load everyone up for football practice AND he took child #3 with him. Double bonus. Off to Kroger for me & the babe, where I saved 25% on my bill (careful planning & coupons). Best 1st day eve yet. I've got this back to school thing.

And that's when it all fell apart. 


No sooner had I entered the garage when it all came unglued. Boys were unloading from football practice. Kid #1 was crying, he spent the whole practice on the sidelines with a stomach ache. Kid #3 was running all over the garage like a maniac. Kid #4 (the baby) started screaming, "I play outside, I play outside" as soon as he saw his brother running around. 

We corralled everyone inside & we playing zone defense with Kid #4 while trying to put away groceries and comforting Kid#1 that was screaming from inside the bathroom about his stomach. All of a sudden, Kid #1 starts throwing up (all over the bathroom floor, not, of course, in the toilet). Now the Hubs is cleaning up puke and I'm trying to keep the groceries from Kid #4 who is scattering them all over the house while simultaneously trying to see what was happening in the bathroom.

Are you tired yet?

By now it's 9:00 (on a school night, mind you). Everyone finally was showered & in bed. There were tears from Kid #2 because he didn't want to go to school the next day. Kid #1 was on the floor in our room in case there was more puking. We finally made it downstairs to pack lunch & tackle the back to school paperwork. I'm starting to feel a little more settled when Kid #3 yells down, "Mommy, can I talk to you about school?"

Sure. 

I brace myself waiting for more tears & questions, especially since he's starting 1st grade. He sits next to me on the couch and says,

"When do you think you're going to be able to bring me Chipotle for lunch?"

Love that kid.

In the end, it all turned out okay. All 3 made it out the door the next morning, no problem. Yes, I did send Kid #1 to school. He woke up fine & had no fever. I did give his teacher a heads up (bet she loved that!). Mom of the Year.

Why am I sharing this? Because I think that I misled you with my post about our water balloon sneak attack. Every now & then, I pull something out of my hat; but most of the time, we're just trying to keep it together like everyone else. I like to keep it real.

The next morning, after all the chaos and everyone was loaded onto their respective busses, I sat down for a minute to snuggle my toddler & watch some Bubble Guppies. It was really quiet in my house.

I miss those guys.

We had an awesome summer & now it was time for an awesome school year.

I let myself be sad for a minute and then I got up & got moving.

After all, those kids were going to be home in 6 hours and I was going to need a nap.

How was your back to school transition? Share with me! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Something to share? Leave a comment!